Stream of Conscientiousness

"con-sci-en-tious: (adj.) Governed by conscience, scrupulous || Characterized by or done with careful attention." --- Man, I was way off.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

I'm the wildest laid back person you'll ever meet. I wash my body first, hair last. I make one loop when I tie my shoes, not the bunny ears. Yet I prefer loafers. I'm in the market for a good pair of headphones, ones that won't wear out. Something akin to Gurgi's unending pouch of food (Lloyd Alexander fans??). I appreciate people that call me out when I'm bullshitting. I appreciate people helping me cut past the bullshit. I appreciate you if you've read this far. I've never owned a Zippo. I only recently learned how to dress myself. Bacci Pizza saved my life. More than once. It could save yours too. I dabble in acting. Any sentimental media about fathers makes me misty. Any sentimental media about children or puppies makes me roll my eyes. I love children and puppies, just not all forms of sentimentality. I am constantly on the lookout for my lucky dime.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Oy with the lateness and the singing

So I grabbed a cab home tonight, resplendent in my exhaustion as I realize that my awful awful, once-a-year-nasty-sore-throat is about to hit. Might as well, it is the beginning of February almost, it's about time. Of course this sore throat didn't help my karaoke singing tonight at The Hidden Cove. I rocked it out on Looking Glass "Brandy," heated things up with Blood, Sweat, and Tears "And When I Die" (complete with a dance breakdown), but petered out on Otis Redding's "Try a Little Tenderness" as I tried to recreate the Duckman's amazing dance from Pretty in Pink. Smoking is bad, kids. And it will only make a sore throat more sore. John, how the hell did you ever quit? Well, I feel a quitting time coming on. Especially since my birth chart last night said that if I, in fact, am a smoker, I should quit. Don't you think it says that to everybody? Or do the stars, in fact, encourage some people to move towards the option of an iron lung?

Anyway, I was all set for bed, when I decided to check the ever expanding library of blogs I've come to read. And while I was METICULOUSLY reading a certain "acquaintance's" blog (oh yes, you heard me, acquaintance), I was called to arms to defend my honor. Now I'm all hot and bothered, in a literary sense. Someday, technology will simply spawn an easy and affordable way for our notepads (read "PDA's of the future") to instantly post to our blogs. That way all those "in the moment" thoughts we have throughout the day can be collected in one place, and for that matter, a place where everyone can read them and see how brilliant they are. I'm telling you, copyrights for blogs are just around the corner, mark my words, dagnabit.

My "acquaintance" is in fact quite brilliant, by the way. But I'm boycotting a hyperlink to her (ah! a clue!) blog for this posting, because apparently, according to her, this blog is dead, which, also apparently, makes this blog the messiah of blogs, as it is in fact quite alive and well.

Non sequitir. I was expounding earlier today on my own self-consciousness within my workplace. I had planned to run errands during lunch today, and was very excited to get out of the office, to the point where I ended up telling people where I was going, and excitedly asking if they needed anything, whereas truly, I was just hoping to tell them I was leaving the office, and how that made me infintesimally happy. Then, after receiving one queer look, I found I was acting like quite the dolt.

But it's ok, "when did self-consciousness become a bad thing?," I began to realize. So long as it doesn't get in front of the truth of who you are, you might as well feel awkward about the things you are doing. I'm sure Van Gogh felt a little awkward when he was halfway done with his left ear. And he was a genius.

So anyway, I'm self-conscious and that's that. Proud of it in fact. Yowza.

To end this adventurous evening, I'm going to steal a topic of many blogs, but in my own , streamlined fashion. Here's a list of ten songs played at random from my iTunes playlist of 3500 songs. With no descriptions. Please be kind.

10. The 5 6 7 8's - Woo Hoo
9. Bic Runga - Sway
8. Ludacris - I Wanna Lick You
7. Shadows of Knight - Gloria
6. The Saw Doctors - I Useta Love Her
5. The Arthur Murray Orchestras - The Speak Up Mambo
4. Beastie Boys - 3 MC's And 1 DJ
3. Beastie Boys - Get It Together
2. Ja Rule - Put It on Me
1. Streets - Let's Push Things Forward

Very interesting, to me in fact. No Magnetic Fields. No Beatles. Not even any Sublime. But some solid hits all the same, methinks. Speaking of methinks, methinks it is time for bed. Whoo boy. You're a beautiful audience, thank you very much.

P.S. Of course, the next two songs to play were Sublime "40 oz. to Freedom" and Belle and Sebastian's "Get Me Away from Here I'm Dying." Good things come to those who wait. Or to those named Taloo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peegie Weegie said...

Neil - If you will recall, in the final moment before Andy and Ducky enter the prom, he says to her, "I will always be...the Duckman (points at his shoes)." This is the Duckman reference I was going for, the one where he gives himself the title that is truly befitting who he is. Plus, in the end, Brooke Shields digs him.

January 29, 2005 at 2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home